STEM Academy and Camp Creative
Registration is now open for District 54’s Summer STEM Academy and Camp Creative. Registration closes April 20th so register soon!
The District 54 Summer STEM Academy is a week-long program for District 54 students who are looking to have fun and expand on their knowledge of STEM-related topics. Summer STEM Academy will run from June 18-22.
- Bubble Wands – first and second grade
- In Bubble Bonanza: Engineering Bubble Wands, you will design different types of bubble wands to help a fictional California amusement park develop a Bubble Bonanza show to entertain park visitors.
- Recycled Racers – first and second grade
- In Go Green: Engineering Recycled Racers, you will use different types of recycled items to design and create your own car for the Recycled Racer Rally!
- Coding – third through fifth grade
- LEGO EV3 Robotics – third through fifth grade
- This is a dynamic excursion into engineering and an in-depth initiation into mobile robotics. Use real-life applications and a state-of-the-art intelligent brick to engineer robots that read ambient light, recognize patterns, tones and more!
- Shake It Up, Earthquakes – third through fifth grade
- Design and construct model buildings that are earthquake resistant. By constructing a shake table to mimic the earth shaking you will test the ability of your structure to survive an earthquake. You will also develop building codes that help others build earthquake resistant buildings.
- Bio-Inspired – sixth through eighth grade
- Can you design a wind and waterproof shelter? A spy switch that will activate an alarm in a darkened room? A protective shield for a roller derby skater? Get inspiration from bio-luminescent jellyfish, poisonous foxgloves, spinning maple leaves, and other creatures from the natural world to solve fun design challenges. See how technology and nature can combine to create bio-inspired gear!
- Coding – sixth through eighth grade
- Fluid Power – sixth through eighth grade
- Learn about the basics of hydraulics – what it is, how it works, and how it is used in everyday life. Use your creativity to build basic pneumatic kits and develop machines that rotate and lift objects.
- VEX Robotics – sixth through eighth grade
- Use the VEX® Robotics Design System to build a frame and base, interchange wheels, create geared armatures and engineer wiring. Your team’s bot will have to adapt to compete in user-piloted challenges such as robo-soccer and obstacle courses, as well as autonomous robot challenges that will require programming using ROBOTC.
The cost is $45 per student (limit one class), which includes a camp T-shirt. Registration closes on Friday, April 20, 2018. You can complete the 2018-19 registration online through the parent portal or click here to download a printable copy of the Registration Form.
Do you want to learn new ways to show your creativity? Join School District 54’s Camp Creative this summer to participate in creating different forms of art using digital and non-digital mediums. The one week program is for students entering 3rd grade through 8th grade in the Fall of 2018. Choose a course that interests you the most! Camp Creative will run from June 25-29.
- Scratch Art – third through eighth grade
- Do you love animals? Learn to use various tools and inked paper to bring an animal of your choice to life in an artistic and creative way!
- 3D Perspective Drawing – third through eighth grade
- Have you ever wanted to design your own building? You now can by learning techniques that designers and architects use. Learn to draw in a way that looks 3D!
- Foil Embossing – third through eighth grade
- Have you wanted to create a relic that represents who you are? Join this class to add some luxury to parts of your name. You’ll create a piece that will look priceless!
- Digital Photography – sixth through eighth grade
- Learn how to use professional grade camera equipment and software to take and develop high quality pictures. This is skill you’ll want to use for the rest of your life!
- Graphic Design – sixth through eighth grade
- Have you ever thought about how art can be done digitally? Join this class to learn how you can digitally create a movie poster using traditional art techniques. The skills you learn can be used to create any digital art!
- Film Production – sixth through eighth grade
- Do you love movies and TV? Join this class to learn how to film your own short movie using professional grade equipment and software.
The cost is $50 per student (limit one class), which includes a camp T-shirt. Registration closes on Friday, April 20, 2018. You can complete the 2018-19 registration online through the parent portal or click here to download a printable copy of the form.